Issues covered will include human rights, disarmament, health, refugees and peace & security and the institutions and organisations we will visit include:
- UN Headquarters at the Palais des Nations
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- EU Delegations to the UN and to the World Trade Organisation (WTO)
- International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) at the International Federation of the Red Cross (IFRC)
- Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) and address by the Deputy Director, Philipp Fluri
We plan to sit in on a UN Convention working group – at the UN Headquarters. We shall also visit either the Geneva Centre for Security Policy or the Graduate Institute of International Relations, where issues covered will include human rights, disarmament, health, refugees, peace & security and the environment.
The study tour will be organised and led by David Spence, currently senior visiting fellow at the LSE European Institute. David spent several years in the European Commission, latterly as EU minister counsellor for disarmament and security affairs in Geneva. He was also seconded as EU advisor to the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative for electoral issues in the Ivory Coast. He is a Geneva insider and will bring this experience to the visits and discussions.
The tour will include time to see, by boat, the beautiful Lake Geneva, known locally as Lac Léman, and by night the charming old town with its enticing restaurants.